Red Rose -->

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Hat


I started with just the background wall and floor, then added the other
four elements. Then used several filters to get the finished result. :)

My Hat!

The hats of a man may be many
In the course of a varied career,
And some have been worth not a penny
And some have been devilish dear;
But there's one hat I always remember
When sitting alone by the fire.
In the depth of a Northern November,
Because it fulfilled my desire.

It was old, it was ragged and rotten
And many years out of mode,
Like a thing that a tramp had forgotten
And left at the side of a road.
The boughs of the mulga had torn it,
It's ribbon was naught but lace,
And old swaggie would not have worn it
Without a sad smile on his face.
 
When I took off the hat to the ladies
It was rather with sorrow than swank,
And often I wished it in Hades
When the gesture drew only a blank;
But for swatting a fly on the tucker
Or lifting a quart from the fire
Or belting the ribs of a bucker
It was all that a man could desire.

William Henry Ogilvie

8 comments:

  1. You created a very appealing scene, one that suggests! The poem goes well with it too and I like it especially because I used to have a hat just like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Terry! I haven't 'built' a scene from the ground up in a long time. Glad you like it! :)

      Delete
  2. That's really neat how you did that. It looks very old fashioned! I like it! Good poem to go with it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the poem first and went from there. Thank you, Rose! :)

      Delete
  3. cool!! i like it! love the poem too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a wonderful image and I just love the hat! And I love pictures of hats too. Great poem to go with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, Anna! Thank you for stopping by! :)

      Delete

 
Red Rose